As Rob said, they are interdependent. Photoshop has to convert the
16bit aRGB image data to the scanner/paper profile (via the
appropriate rendering intent, etc) I've selected and then to 8bit to
drive the scanner. The possibility of a lot of round off error is
minimized by using 16bit files.

The print driver isn't quite as sophisticated about the conversions,
and you can see the difference.

Godfrey