> No, it is not! What he is saying, is that often we think we know the
> answers, but we do not really understand the question.
No, I think by bringing up such an example, he does more than saying
that. The argument implied is something like:

   1. Rob Studdert makes a prediction about technology.
   2. A PhD in the 50s made a prediction about technology.
   3. That PhD's prediction turned out to be ridiculous.
   4. Rob Studdert's prediction is therefore ridiculous.

Which is a logical fallacy. 4. may well turn out to be true, of course,
but it does not follow from 1-3.

Merely saying that people shouldn't be drawing firm conclusions about
technology because it changes fast, is something else entirely, and
something I would never have commented on. What I don't approve of, is
that every time someone says that something may not be doable, somebody
else brings up an example of something else that was said to be
impossible, but is now consider the order of the day, so as to ridicule
the original argument or the person making it.

Or at least, I sometimes feel inclined to point out that their examples
don't really prove anything.

Also (not that this proves anything, either), I think you can find just
as many examples of someone saying a long time ago that something was
impossible or improbable, when it is still considered as such today. Or
of people making completely unrealistic predictions about what
technology would bring. One example that springs to mind now is an
interview from 1950 with a Swedish scientist (I don't remember of what
denomination), that was shown on TV a few years ago. This person was
asked what he thought his country would look like in 50 years, i.e. in
2000 - to which he responded that he firmly believed everyone would be
living in little "module homes" that might be transported around with a
helicopter, and placed wherever you wanted to spend your time the next
few days of weeks...
>  With more
> knowledge we can often see a way around a problem, rather than why it
> can not be done. It is axiomatic that "The more we know, the more we
> realize we don't know". It is very easy to get to thinking we know
> everything, but it has been proven over and over that there is many
> times as many things we do not understand than there are things we do.
>
> Does that mean Rob is wrong? No, not necessarily; based on current
> understanding he is correct. But we do not know if current understanding
> is completely correct or not. Tomorrow someone could come up with some
> new material that can absorb many times as many photons as the current
> wafer material does. So, both viewpoints are valid, today.

Ah, yes, except Rob also argued that the current material can already
register over 50% of the photons available, so there is not much to go
on. You could also increase the max for the total amount registered
(i.e. the "full-well capacity" of the sensor), but there is also a limit
to how far you might go in utilising that, since you must also have a
practical exposure setup. And the laws of physic probably also put some
clear limits (independent of type of material) on the charges you can hold.

But be that as it may. I think it is also worth noticing that Rob has
never made statements like "there will be no camera able to resolve 22
bits." He is always a lot more specific than that, and talk about
sensors of a certain size or material, and also, I think, imply that he
is referring to a physical/optical setup similar to the one of current
SLRs etc.

- Toralf