Although the FA31 Limited is a great performer, it's a little wider
than a "normal" for the *ist D format. The FA35/2 AL, at 1/3 the
price, is 95% of the same quality and is a near perfect normal. I had
the 31, didn't like its bulk, weight, or the stupid fixed lens hood
(which doesn't provide enough flare protection for the 16x24mm
format) so I sold it. I bought the FA35/2 and find it excellent.

If you prefer a wider normal, the FA28/2.8 AL is another good choice.
I've come very close to buying one for a long time, but decided that
the FA20-35/4 AL covered the range satisfactorily and the one stop
slower speed was not a hindrance. I do wish that Pentax would release
a nice, compact, DA28/2 Limited.

Godfrey