Yes, exactly, I forgot mention removing all of the
goop with spirits (I use naptha).

Also, in seals where the foam sits in a channel, go
carefully and slowly especially with the material
that's sticky on one side as it can bind up on the
sides of the channel rather than the bottom where you
want it to stick. If you go slowly and have cleared
off all of the old goop out you should do fine.

-Brendan