> I think the actual sensors do have the 14-16 bits you mention - which
> literally means that the max charge is up to some 65000 electrons.
> However, they also have a readout noise of at least 10 electrons,
> which
> is equivalent to 3 or 4 bits. This essentially means that you are left
> with a usable dynamic range or latitude equivalent to 12 bits; any
> additional bits would just be "measuring the noise", if they contained
> any information at all. That's why a 12-bit A/D is traditionally used.
>
> Furthermore, when you amplify the signal for a higher ISO setting, you
> also amplify the noise, thus shifting up the 3 or 4 bits so that
> contain
> noise, so it enters even the 12 bits you keep.
>
> But like I said, this has been discussed a lot in the past few weeks.
> In
> in several rounds before that, too. Enough for now.
>
> I'm not sure I've read the data sheets of the *exact* sensors used in
> the Pentax cameras, either, by the way (I've seen technical data for
> various ones of similar type...)
>
> - Toralf

Hi,

Yes, actually I was talking about usable bits, taking the noise into
account, thus giving 14-16bits of usable data.

This is so at least with the good quality astronomical ccd sensors but I

am sure the DSLR camera sensors are coming close nowadays (or am I just
hoping?).

In any case, when designing measuring systems (using amplifiers and a/d
converters) it is a good thing to have plenty of more bits and precision
compared to the original signal. This way you will minimize the added
noise. When having a 22 bits a/d converter on the K10D you can also
measure and analyze the "noise" of the low expusure pixels. You will get
all the available information out of the sensor.

Antti-Pekka

Antti-Pekka Virjonen

Computec Oy
R&D Turku