On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 08:36:32AM -0400, Doug Franklin wrote:
> J. C. O'Connell wrote:
>
> > I have gotten some nice very sharp shots with my 135-600mm SMCT @ 600mm
> > "Hand held" using only a monopod and 1/500 and 1/100. Monopods ROCK!.
>
> Yep, I love my monopod.  I even use it for panning the 400 on both the
> MZ-S and the *ist D.  I've gotten to where I can usually hand hold the
> 300 without much problem, as long as I keep the shutter speed faster
> than 1/125.  But the monopod helps there, too.  And the Manfrotto
> three-section monopod doubles as a cudgel when needed, too. :-)

These shots (which many here have seen before) were taken using a monopod
and the monster zoom.  In fact a good number of my motorsports shots were
taken with the 300/f2.8 (with or without the 1.7x AF adapter) or the big
zoom, and I almost always use a monopod with them.

  http://panix.com/~johnf/temp/PortlandPitStop.jpg

  http://panix.com/~johnf/temp/CityStreets.jpg