A very interesting story, as it highlights an idea I had about some sellers.
As a seller, you have a lens that is defective in some mechanical way.  You
advertise it for sale as a perfect item, insisting on insurance for transit.
It arrives "broken", the insurance company pays for it to be fixed and you are
the recipient of funds for a perfect lens rather than a broken one.  All it
costs you is the insurance premium.  Not moral or legal but some people won't
worry about that.

I wonder how many times you could pull it before the insurance company cottoned
on?

> From: Brendan MacRae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I thought I'd relay this story to you all.
>
> Back in July I was looking for a long lens for the 67
> since the longest lens in my bag was the 165mm f4 LS.
> I was thinking about buying a new 300mm and a
> teleconverter (from the results posted on Luminous
> Landscape this seemed like a good option) but I saw a
> used 400mm ED on Ebay at a good price and jumped at it
> with the Buy It Now option. The description said the
> lens was well used but "optically perfect."
>
> So, the lens arrived about a week later and boy was I
> not happy. The lens was shipped in its dedicated trunk
> case but in a box with packing peanuts and
> miscellaneous scraps of styrofoam. The trunk was not
> packed snuggly and it shifted around inside the box.
> When I took the lens out of the truck case to inspect
> it I had it tilted slightly on end and my heart sank
> when I heard a loud "thud" from inside the lens. Yep,
> the IF helicoid was stripped and was just sliding back
> and forth. And that wasn't the worst of it. Upon
> looking into the lens from the front element I could
> see that one of the internal elements was scratched at
> the edge, a fairly large scratch, maybe 4-6mm long. I
> was wondering if there was a screw loose inside that
> caused it but I never saw or heard one.
>
> So, I contacted the seller and explained my dismay and
> told him that he needed to claim it (yes, I insisted
> on insurance) and that even though the box had no
> obvious damage it should've been more carefully packed
> (the box wasn't even marked 'fragile'). I told him
> that even if the focus was operable I would insist on
> a refund since there was no way I was buying a lens
> with a scratched element, especially one described as
> "optically perfect." After a few terse emails the
> seller told me that the claim was going through and
> that UPS would be by to pick up the lens for
> inspection.
>
> In the end, UPS decided to pay to have the lens
> repaired at Pentax in Colorado. I told the seller to
> have them fix everything, including replacing the bad
> element, and I'd be happy to have it. Suprisingly, I
> got the lens today, over two months later from the
> close of the auction, packaged nearly the same way as
> before, but this time in good shape, no focusing
> issues, no scratched element and freshly aligned and
> CLA'd from our friends in Golden, Colorado. Even so,
> when I went to fit the lens on the camera, well to be
> honest, with this lens you fit the camera to the lens,
> it wouldn't present flush. I tried it again and still
> no luck. When I examined the lens mount In noticed
> that one of the six screws holding the mount to the
> lens hadn't been fully tightened and was proud of the
> surface. I tightened it down and then mounted the
> camera with no trouble. Finally, being a cautious guy,
> I checked the focus scale against a tape and it
> matched almost exactly.
>
> In eight years as a seller and buyer on eBay this was
> [...]

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software