The variable aperture isn't too much of a problem if you shoot with
aperture priority and set it at 5.6 or smaller. Or shoot with shutter
priority and set it at a speed where you can be sure you won't run
out of aperture. It's not ideal. I'm looking forward to the new DA*
60-200, but it works. And more importantly, the optics are quite
good. The hood seems to do its job. It's size doesn't bother me. I
certainly wouldn't want a smaller hood for a lens with 200 mm reach.
Paul