I'd recommend buying and reading a book on studio lighting before you
walk into the store. Know what kinds of things might be germaine to
the work you want to accomplish, so that you go to the store with a
pointed interest in specific kinds of things...

I have several books on lighting, from macro to studio portraiture.
I'm building up my lighting equipment slowly, as need develops. Right
now, most of what I need has to do with small to medium size, simple
tabletop work. The Light Cube that someone pointed me to and the
Sunpak 383 on an extension cord produced the pictures of the Pentax
DS + DA21 I posted recently... very simple, very easy, nothing fancy.

Godfrey