Just got back from a concert where I got to watch Bill
Allard at work.  Among his many accomplishments...

<http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/biographies/blues.html>

or

<http://www.theimagingsummit.com/william/>

...he's the father of Terri Allard, a seriously good
folk/rock/alt-country singer with a gorgeous warm,
smoky voice...

<http://www.milestown.com/terri/>

Terri played an outdoor concert here in C-ville
(hometown of both Allards) this evening (same venue as
my July and September PUG submissions), and her father
was there to sing back-up on several tunes.

He took his camera (Leica M6) with him when he went on
stage.  And let me say this about his shooting style
(one of them, at least):  He's very, very smooth and
very, very quick.

When he wasn't singing, he was shooting.  Not all the
time.  Selectively.  But so unobtrusively that I was
hardly aware at first what he was doing.  Camera up,
down.  Terri.  Guitar.  Harmonica.  Drums.  That
quick.

He wasn't zone focusing--I could just see the movement
of his thumb and forefinger as he focussed.  He was
simply very fast, very economical of movement.  I
tried to shoot him shooting Terri (if I got the shot,
look for it in an upcoming PUG).  It wasn't easy.

He also changed a roll of film--on stage, during a
song--and I bet most people in the audience didn't
catch it.  I barely did.  He was that smooth.  And
this was a Leica, mind you, not a P&S that loads
itself.

Amazing to watch.  I was sometimes at the foot of the
stage, not more than 25 feet away.  You got a sense of
how it's possible for him to get the images he does.
Without being in any way surreptitious, he draws no
attention to what he's doing.  I'll bet that very
often people probably don't register the camera.  If
they do, they forget about it.

I'm not particularly into Zen, but there's no other
way to put it, Allard and his camera are one.

As I was saying, that's one of his styles.  When he
wasn't on stage, he worked much more slowly.  Camera
spent a good deal of time at his eye, but he wasn't
shooting a lot.  Waiting for the shot he wanted, I
suppose.

First time I've been in the presence of a true master,
when he was working, not a lecture/slide show/seminar/
demonstration/gallery opening.  Wonderful to see.

Cheers, John

Oh?  My style?  This evening, I knew the venue well,
so no need to scout camera angles.  First roll of
film, make sure I've documented the event--all the
performers, lots of the headliner, the crowd.
Following rolls, work, really work, the subjects.
Look.  Shoot.  Look again.  Ten minutes with the bass
player, fifteen with the singer, eight and a third
with the pedal steel, ten minutes with group shots.
Move.  Look.  Do it again.

=====
John Edwin Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia