David Savage wrote:
> On 9/30/06, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Superzoom = wide focal range.  OK, thanks.  I heard the term mentioned once
>> and thought it meant something else.  Now, what's "VR?"
>
> "VIbration Reduction" Nikon's version of IS
>
>> Overall and generally speaking, how do these "superzooms" compare to zooms
>> with a lesser focal range?  Do they measure up to even those standards?
>
> Poorly
>
> Dave

Actually, there's a couple good ones. The Canon 35-350L and 28-300 IS L
are superb, but they're huge monsters of lenses (they're the size of a
300 f2.8, and cost similar amounts), the later versions of the Tamron
28-200 is decent as well. The Nikkor 18-200 VR is pretty good, and
acquits itself well in comparison to most mid-range glass of shorter
zoom ranges (it's quite comparable to a 18-70DX + 70-300ED kit, apart
from the 200-300 range it doesn't cover). The Sigma and Tamron are kit
zoom quality at best, and really horrid past 120mm or so.

-Adam