On 10/1/06, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2006, at 3:02 AM, Ivan Shukster wrote:
>
> > ... c) whenever I do use a Mac I can never figure
> > out how to turn them off.  ...
>
> I will recommend to my friends at Apple that they provide a "Start"
> button, prominently and persistently displayed on screen, so that
> Windows users will understand intuitively how to turn their computers
> off. Rather than the current very obtuse and difficult to understand
> "Shut Down..." command on the Apple system menu which appears in
> every application.

Back in 1990 or so, I wandered into the school library with a floppy
disk to make use a PC.    All of the PCs were taken but no one was in
the new Mac lab.  So I sat down at one the shiny new toasters, put the
disk into the drive and proceeded to edit a text file (I think it may
have been for a basic programming course).  Upon finishing and saving
my work I reached for the eject button.  !  Where the **** is the
eject button?  The trash can never occured to me.  Why would I want to
put my work in a trash can?  I had to ask the librarian for help.  By
the time I left the lab I was ready to throw the Mac in the trash can.
 I remember spending the rest of my school day trying to understand
the logic that would lead someone to build a computer without an eject
button on the floppy drive.

The next Mac I touched was running OSX.

--
Scott Loveless