----- Original Message -----
From: "J and K Messervy"
Subject: Pentax medium formats

>I really want to get a medium format at some point for landscape and
>maybe
> even macro shots.  I keep an eye on Pentax 67 and to a lesser extent
> Pentax
> 645 gear on Ebay.  645 appears to be cheaper on average.
>
> Being a complete medium format ignoramus, can someone please explain
> the
> main differences between the two systems and the pros and cons of the
> two?
>
> I am no professional, just a hobbyist but would love to have a medium
> format
> for large prints, etc.  I would probably use a mixture of negative and
> slide
> film and use it fairly sparingly.
>
> What should I go for?  What should I look out for?

My first medium format was a 645. What I didn't like about it was that
because of the orientation of the negative on the film, the image goes
through the neg carrier vertically. Fine for portraits, not so good for
landscapes.
For some reason, I can deal better with sideways portraits than sideways
landscapes.
Anyway, this will only be a bug if you print your film in a darkroom.
645 is certainly a big enough format to do good quality display prints
up to at least 11x14 with reasonable cropping.
After my 645 suffered a horrid fate, I decided to go for the Pentax 6x7.
It's a nice format, but for the type of landscape that I tend to shoot,
it is sometimes difficult to impossible to get sufficient depth of
field.
645 is better for this, as it uses shorter lenses to get the same field
of view.
Whether sufficient, to say would be to know. I do not know, so I cannot
say.
If you truly want to get excellent pictures from film, and don't mind a
bit of extra work, then a view camera may be a choice to consider.
The movements allow for better depth of field control, as well as giving
the photographer the ability to correct geometric distortion, though if
you are planning on scanning instead of printing, there is fixing it in
Photoshop as an option.
You can shoot roll film with a view camera, which can be the best of
both worlds.
The 6x7 is not such a good camera for macro, though good macro is
certainly possible. The bellows is very bulky, the extension tubes allow
for little adjustment, and in all situations, the combination of having
to stop a slow lens down, and the amount of extension that is required
to do real macro work make for a dim, hard to focus viewfinder and long
exposure times.
Again, I think 4x5 is a better option for macro than 6x7. This will take
you to a macro I shot with the 6x7.
This is pretty close to full frame.
http://pug.komkon.org/02mar/dime.html
I expect 645 would be nicer for macro, though I haven't first hand
experience with it.

6x7 is heavy compared to 645, it would be good to figure out how many
lenses you want to carry, and see if the weight is acceptable. My 6x7
bag, when full, is close to 30 pounds.

William Robb