mike wilson wrote:

> As you are dealing with both a polariser and that something else
> has come loose, I think it is unlikely that you are going to be
> able to manage to remove it without damaging something or
> unintentionally dismantling your lens.  Unless you are very lucky
> or skillful.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Some of them are things I
either did try our would have if I could figure it out.

The "strap wrench" I mentioned  is basically a big rubber band with a
handle, and that's what I was able to get enough purchase with to
actually make something rotate.  The problem, as Mike notes, is that the
something that rotated wasn't the bloody filter.  The lens was about to
disassemble in my hands.

I wanted to try the hot/cold trick, but I couldn't figure out how to do
it.  The lens is a Sigma APO 400/5.6 Macro, and it's got "rubberized"
cladding and a built-in lens hood that make it tough to apply heat to
the appropriate places.

I'm still looking for Kroil, but I might try a couple of the penetrating
lubricants I have for the cars.

> I think I would go with the dismantling and see what
> happens.  Once apart, you may then have a better chance of
> removing the filter.  At least you will then have a handful of
> parts that can be professionally reassembled.

:-)  I'm trying to decide if I'm brave enough to try that.  I think I
will have a better shot at the filter if I disassemble whatever was
unscrewing.  I'm not so sure I can get things back together. :-)
Luckily I probably won't need the lens until the spring.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)