My point is that a decades ago people were saying digital cameras
would never replace film.  I do not think most people feel this way
today.   Read this story about the first digital image recorded by
Kodak R&D labs 30 years ago:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9261340/

Quoting from the article:
"The image took 23 seconds to record onto the cassette and another 23
seconds to read off a playback unit onto a television. Then it popped
up on the screen."

Based on your logic they should have given up because this was not practical.