Hi Bruce,

The way it's been explained to me is that you have to set the focal length
that you're going to use.  The problem is that doing so slows you down if
you're going to use the lens at other focal lengths - you've gotta keep
changing the focal length, probably through a menu.  Also, iirc, the focal
lengths you have to choose from are quite specific, and with a zoom you can
end up between those specific focal lengths, which may effect the results
you can get.  Mind you, I'm just guessing and doing a little remembering ...

Shel