From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 2:10 PM
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: Re: K1D aperature simulator survey, part Deaux

In a message dated 10/11/2006 10:22:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Why do we think that a company is going to do anything other than give
us exactly what we demand?
Why do we think that they should do anything more for us than they
absolutely have to.
We haven't exactly given them any good reasons to do otherwise.

We are getting exactly what we deserve, whether we like it or not.

William Robb
=======
I partly switched to Canon because of all the bitching on this list
about
Pentax. Remember back before the *istD came out? Everyone was bitching
that
Pentax would never produce a DSLR, or if they did it would be too little
too late.
So many were moaning and bemoaning that the company would go belly up. I

started believing them, which would mean no future support and no
upgrade path. I
also bought my Canon 300D (which, unfortunately, is NOT a pile of crap),
after
the *istD came out because I wanted a DSLR, but a cheaper DSLR. For a
long
time there was no hint that Pentax was going to issue more.

Then, lo and behold, the DS, DL etc. came out.

Frankly, I see Pentax now as correcting most of their previous mistakes
--
addressing and correcting worries about their future and their continued

existence. They seem to have wised up. And, what do you know, they are
still in the
game, after all. Something a lot of people were predicting just a few
years ago
was not going to happen.

And now the K100D and K10D -- offering a lot for cameras in those price
ranges.

They have issued cameras that are equal or below Canon camera prices.
And
they have usually delivered more camera for the buck, i.e. either more
at the
same price range or a slightly lower price range or cameras in an
interim price
range between Canon's lowest and highest. Just more camera for the buck.

Although they haven't ventured into higher high end, yet. Maybe they
never will,
But I don't think they need to, if they keep offering such good cameras
for
lower prices.

And now they are planning a whole bunch of new lenses at basically
Canon-type
prices. So they suck people in with lower priced well-featured cameras,
then
they will hit them up later with expensive glass. Until that time they
have
offered a kludge that will let people use older less expensive manual
glass. But
it IS is a kludge, i.e. it is slightly annoying with As and more
annoying
with Ks. This means the novice, will not want to continue using a kludge
for
long. And lots will not want to use manual at all or for long. It will
just be
easier to buy new lenses with no kludge required. Pentax will make money
on glass.

IMHO, Pentax is being very, very shrewd. And I salute them!

I am also probably going to switch back. Any company that is now showing
this
much savvy, is probably not going to go belly up. At least not any time
soon.

Marnie aka Doe :-)