Say Pentax did reimplemented the aperture "simulator" in a future
body, you buy the body (for $900, as an example). As a long time
Pentax user with a vast collection of K/M glass you're happy as a pig
in shit.

Pentax on the other hand have sold you a $900 body & that's all their
going to get.

Now lets look at a buyer just coming into Pentax they buy the $1000
kit (body + 18-55 lens). In time said user reaches the limitations of
the kit lens & decides to buy some new ones. They decide on a DA 16-45
(~$390) & FA 31 (~$880). That's an extra $1270 of product that Pentax
has sold. (And if you don't think this scenario is realistic, go over
to the the Pentax SLR forum at DPreview and you'll find a lot of
people like that.)

And this is the point some are try to help you understand. Pentax
makes more profit from new users (& long time users) who buy new
products & accessories, as apposed to the minimal profit they make
from longtime users who only want a body that fully supports their old
K/M lenses.

Also, you didn't answer my initial question, so I'll ask it again:

If you were in the business of manufacturing & selling cameras &
associated equipment which type of customer would you prefer?

Keep in mind that Pentax are a company driven by profits and not some
sort of feel good institute.

As to Canon being a good place to start from scratch, I'm sure there
were/are a lot of FD users who disagree. Also how much would it cost
you to replace your K/M lens line up with Canon equivalents? (If it's
even possible)

Dave