Whether or not people are wrong in equating dots and
pixels the terms are often used interchangeably since
monitor resolution is measured (or used to be anyway)
in "dot pitch." Hence part of the confusion between
dpi and ppi.

My scanner also measures pixels per inch but even the
side of the box reads "4000 DPI." So, perhaps some of
criticism for the confusing nomenclature should be
leveled at Nikon (and others). After all, it's a
scanner not a printer, right?

-Brendan