On Oct 21, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>       That would be somewhere between the evil of removing the
> aperture coupler and the Canon FD->EOS switch.
>
>       Just to be a nice thorn in everyone's anti-aperture-coupler's
> side, consider that proposal.  How would everyone feel if these nice,
> newish, fancy auto-focus (F, FA, DA, etc) lenses that you all own
> suddenly
> became stop-down metering only.  Pentax could state that they're
> new mount
> is compatible with all K-mount lenses ever made... just like they do
> now (some restrictions apply).
>
>       It would certainly save more money to manufacture a camera without
> a precision actuator that has to move a very accurate amount in a
> few 10's
> of milliseconds than it saved by removing a much less precise (in both
> distance and time) *sensor*.
>
>       A little more severe, but would have the exact same results....
> millions of lenses would still work, but not as they were intended.

It might be a little less than what I'd prefer, but I did for a time
consider that if Pentax really did fail I could buy an Olympus or
Panasonic 4/3 body and keep using my favorite Pentax FA and DA lenses
in exactly that way on them with an adapter. It was actually
interesting even if Pentax came out with the body I was waiting for
since there are so few choices in good primes in the 4/3 system world
so far... and the Oly zooms are very good (as I expect the new Leica
designs for Panasonic will be too).

Godfrey