John Celio wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Snowflake_300um_LTSEM,_13368.jpg
>
> Now, when do you think Pentax will come out with a macro lens that can do
> that?

[...]

Hi John,

This is on the order of "Hey! You brought it up!"  ;-)

Starting with the site above, which really whetted my appetite to know
more about the intriguing image of snow crystal forms I'd never been
aware of before, I visited the EMU Snow Page at:

      http://emu.arsusda.gov/snowsite/default.html

...where I found the following comment:

"Information gained from studying the structure of snow is vital to
several areas of science as well as to activities that affect our daily
lives..."

To me, most curious!
WHY is it so "vital" we study the structure of snow?
Does anyone know of a 'primer' that I can read, to educate myself on
this area of study?

keith whaley