I'm lucky in that there are no less than four or five decent photo
equipment vendors within a 50 mile radius of my apartment, the
nearest two of whom are less than 15 minutes away. I try to buy from
them first whenever I'm looking for equipment as I believe in
supporting local business as much as is sensible, and on most major
items they don't even bother to quote their shelf price to me, they
quote a price relative to B&H Photo.

The fact that they carry small accessories is one of the reasons I
want to support them ... never know when you might need a Pentax or
Nikon thingamajig on a Saturday afternoon ... but this is where
things break down as the price from a bigger store like b&h is often
50-60% less. But then again, I can't get it from B&H in less than 24
hours minimum and sometimes the price premium is worth it for instant
delivery if I'm in the middle of a project.

It's tough.

Godfrey