Thanks Cory. I appreciate your comments.

Cory wrote:
> "The Finish Line" -- Lasse Karlsson
> I have to admit that on the first pass through the list I didn't notice
> that the runners were the only things in color.  Guess my mind disregarded
> the obvious difference.

Yes, that's funny. You're the second one to report this experience.

> On second look though, it's a striking change-up.
> Leaves me wondering how it was done.

At first I picked this picture because of it's kind of (to me) archetypical scene. The
six human bodies and minds going for passing that line sooner than anybody else. As I
earlier mentioned this is quite a crop of the original, where I opted for this
perspective rather than the more commonly expected. But partcularly beacuse of the
back light on the runners and the high intensity of the (beautiful) colour of the
track itself, competing for attention from the runners, I decided to try to pull them
out by desaturate the colours around them.
This was done in Photoshop by selecting (and desaturating) the areas in the various
ways allowed by Photoshop. It took a while (a few hours), since my technique is not
very well developed. If you look closely you will find that it's not perfect in this
regard. There are small areas and borders that still would need some work. I simply
had to leave it in order not to miss the deadline.
Anyway I enjoy the result too.

> I agree with some others that I would
> like the shot to include more of the stadium and less of the track in front
> of the runners.

Yes, except for comments in private, this seems to be the taste of the majority of
commentators. (Guess I'm lucky it's not a popularity contest...:) )

> I would also like to see a little more space to each side,
> though I think you said there were offending items to each side that you
> chose to omit.

No, no offending items. I just wanted to bring out, as much as possible of the runners
that the max 600 pixels wide rule allowed me. It is of interest to hear that you'd
prefer more space.

> Love how you were able to capture the runners at various
> stages of their finish-line stride.  It's good to get all the runners in a
> single shot like that.

Yes, there's always an element of luck (or unluck) in these kinds of shots. (On this
roll I had at least one before and one after this shot. On another roll (another body)
I think I have a few shots from the early part of the race.).
They were indeed lined up well for a shot like this.

> I understand you were actually in the run-off area.
> It's an extraordinary place to be for that race, those guys seem like they
> would be so focused on their race that they'd run you over in a heartbeat
> and get up wondering what happened.

Yes, I had a pass for the track and particular shooting areas, but unfortunately not
for the inner field where I would have loved to go. (Well, in fact I did in one
particular case (a javelin throwing girl that I did a piece on) without having any
problems from the organisers.)
Anyway, the runners are used to having photographers around so they do look out for
not hitting anyone. It's mostly a matter of keeping still at crucial moments and watch
out, and you'll be fine. (It helps, or actually is required, that you do know about
the various disciplines going on - where and when different things will be happening
etc. I love being there shooting.)

>  Keep your head up mate.  Looks like
> they were all pretty close at the end, who won?

I seem to recall that the (blue-white) Finn in the middle actually won, although it
looks like it's the Swede doing a victory sign. (Not absolutely sure though. Would
have to look it up.)

Thanks,
Lasse