Hi, here are my assigned comments for September PUG. I
apologize for my English, I hope you can understand
what I am trying to say.

Kevin Thornsberry’s “Train Station,...”
First, I have to say that to me it is a technically
correct picture, from a ‘showing a place’ point of
view. I mean, one can have an idea of the building
that is showed in the picture and its environment. But
there is something that prevents me from saying Great!
instead of OK. There is something that makes the
picture special for you (ant thus, that makes you
submit it to the PUG), that I don’t see.
And this is something that happens continuously to me.
Sometimes it is even me, when I see the slides, that
think ‘This picture doesn’t reflect what I saw there’.
Sometimes it happens when I show the picture to
someone else. Then I realize that, the feelings that I
had there, the story of the picture, makes it special
for me but not for this other person, who just looks
at it and says ‘oh, so you had a nice weather in
there...’.
Anyway, the place is interesting from a photographic
point of view. A more intense light (late afternoon)
with shadows showing textures, or a more perpendicular
view of the railroad, are possible improvements for
the picture.
I hope this makes sense to you (and you find it
helpful).

Paul Stenquist’s “Amy”
I am getting more and more interested in outdoor
portraits. If sometime I come up with something like
this, I would think ‘I am near my goal’. I like your
picture, and I guess Amy will like it too (which is
the main objective in commercial portraits). There is
something that makes me fear about portraits. If I
make someone stay in front of some reflectors, tripod,
and other equipment... I feel that I have to produce
something really good, and this adds pressure to me.
On the negative side... not much. Maybe some parts of
the clothing is too bright and a little bit
disturbing. There is something curious that maybe
negative too. You say that she is a young woman.
Before reading this I though that it was a middle age
woman that looked younger than she really is (thanks
to your ability photographing her). This may be caused
because I imagine her in color as having white hair,
instead of blonde.
I am afraid I am not skilled enough to suggest
different lighting setups.
I hope this helps.

Dan Maytola ‘Little pokes’
A nice example of ‘travel photography’.  I like the
colors and the picture has a ‘warm feeling’. I am not
sure of how to explain it. It is like a TV commercial
recorded with cinema equipment or recorded with video
equipment. The first one has a ‘warmer’ look. Does
this make sense to you?
Improvements: I imagine that you had to make the
picture with not much time to think on different
compositions, or with a sense of urgency because the
children could move or go away... as usually happens
when travelling. I probably would have chosen a more
perpendicular (to the wall) point of view. Of course I
understand that there is a trade between this and
showing what are the children looking at. In this case
the ideal would have been waiting until the cows are
placed just in front... and maybe this would have
never happened.
Nice job.

Jaume
http://im.yahoo.com