Nonsense! Look at Magnum, look at all the great photo agencies that
are around at the moment. It's thriving if you go looking for it.

Have a look at the adverts in ei8ht sometime - loads of agencies
around producing great work and selling it.
http://www.foto8.com/ei8ht/index.html

OK, it's not the glory days of Life, but there's a lot of very high
quality stuff out there - both film and digital (and you can rarely
tell the difference in print, so who cares?).

--
Cheers,
 Bob