Well, I can't shoot underexposed to get darker images and darker shadows as
I've done in the past without incurring gobs of noise that ruin the image.
I don't find that at all convenient, and it has changed to one degree or
another how I shoot and what I shoot.  There's a feeling that I'd like to
capture in some of my pics that, for whatever reason, I can't.  Maybe I
have to learn more processing techniques, or better hone the skills I have,
but for the moment a lot of my pics are unacceptable wrt noise in the
shadows.  Exposing "to the right" makes some areas to light, fries others,
and so forth.  There's a whole aspect to digital, as I've experienced it,
that is unsatisfactory and which doesn't allow me to fully express myself.

What does convenient have to do with how well or poorly current DSLRs
capture and interpret the scene?  A DSLR is neither more nor less
convenient than a 35mm film camera when taking the pic.  Cameras are of
similar size and configuration, and are used in a similar fashion.  Even
post processing is similar once a negative has been scanned.

Shel