On Nov 6, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Doug Franklin wrote:

> Shel Belinkoff wrote:
>> Maybe it's old news, but I just found out about the Canon
>> imagePROGRAF
>> iPF5000 which can print 16-bit files and uses 12 ink cartridges.
>> Looks
>> verrry interesting
>
>> http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/
>> 20060221_iPF5000.html
>
> That looks like an incredible printer, and I'd love to have one ...
> but
> nearly US$ 2,000 is /way/ out of my price range.  I've been trying to
> convince myself for more than a year that I'd do enough prints larger
> than 8" x 10" to replace my Epson 820 with something like an Epson
> R1800
> or Canon i9900.

$2000 or more makes sense only if you are printing a LOT of larger
size prints. The Epson R2400 was expensive to my way of thinking at
$800, but in retrospect with the volume of A3 and A3 Super prints
I've been putting out this year, I should have gone for the R4800 and
would have saved money on ink overall.

(Just printed another dozen A3 B&Ws ... the R2400 is a very fine
printer!)

Godfrey