From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
William Robb
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2006 1:18 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: list abuse

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff"

> The thing is, Paul, sooner or later JCO jumps into conversations and
> threads and becomes abusive and begins to use foul language.  Are you
> suggesting that when he jumps into a thread, as he did when I posted
> my observations about focusing, that even if he says nothing
> outrageous he be
> ignored - IOW, not allowing him the benefit of the doubt that the
> thread
> can remain civil?

There is also the problem that if a person makes an incorrect statement
and it goes unchallenged, then it is often presumed to be true by the
casual reader who may be perusing the archives.
Sadly, there isn't a simple answer for the rest of us.
It's not wise to allow untruths to go unchallenged, but it is a given
that challenging the person in question will result in abusive posts
from said individual.
As we saw from the JCO Survey thread, John is quite willing to take a
thread to several thousand posts to "win" the debate, and is totally
uncaring about who he insults, or whose first hand knowledge and
experience he disregards.
Ignoring him essentially means that as soon as he posts on a topic, that

thread must be dropped by the rest of us, which means stifling discourse

and reinforcing his already socially repugnant behaviour, since he will
see this as a win for him, and a capitulation by everyone else, which
will just make the problem worse in the future.
Were I the list owner, I'd ban him permanently.

William Robb