On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 01:11:05PM -0700, Joseph Tainter wrote:
> How does one know that a compressed RAW file is actually lossless?
>
> Over at dpreview, Steve (apparently the first kid on the block with a
> K10D) has posted a DNG file taken at ISO 1600 here:
>
> http://www.sendspace.com/file/zsdg52
>
> It is a 6 mb file. When you open it in CS2, then resave it as a TIFF, it
> becomes a 29 mb file. So clearly the DNG was compressed.
>
> I don't want to use RAW compression unless I cam be completely certain
> that it is lossless. How does one know?

One further point - at present I believe the only way to get a compressed
DNG is using software on your computer; the in-camera DNG is uncompressed.
Pentax have added compression to PEF files (I'm sure this is lossless, too),
but haven't yet got DNG compression in the firmware.  I expect to see it at
some future date, but I suspect they don't yet have a lossless JPEG library
built for their embedded processor.  Presumably they are using some other
type of compression for the PEF files on the K10D.