-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John
Francis

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 07:53:05PM -0700, Joseph Tainter wrote:
> "One further point - at present I believe the only way to get a
> compressed DNG is using software on your computer; the in-camera DNG is
> uncompressed."
>
> Well, that's interesting. It really was a 6 mb DNG file. I double check
> such things considering the speed of my dial-up connection.

I'm sure it was.  It's just that almost certainly* this isn't exactly
how it came out of the camera - at the very least it's been run through
some piece of software (such as the Adobe DNG converter) which can read
an uncompressed DNG and write out the same data using the compressed DNG
format.  That's what I would do if I were going to upload a DNG.  It's
also possible that it was originally saved as a PEF, and converted to
DNG using the Pentax Photo Laboratory software shipped with the camera;
I believe this can write DNG files (although, strangely, not read them).

*I say "almost certainly" because it's possible that Pentax have got
round to implementing compressed DNG in-camera in the last week or two,
although I think this is pretty unlikely.
.net/mailman/listinfo/pdml_pdml.net