Hello Paul,

The setting is on the camera by pressing the flash button.  It cycles
between normal, redeye reduction, wireless and wireless/HS.

Are you sure you are using HS?  The shutter speed needs to be higher
than 1/180 sec and the Pentax flash needs to be set to the appropriate
mode.  Once it is set, even if you are shooting at slower speeds, it
still works.  So a near dark shot, would not probably need HS.

With the *istD & AF360FGZ, if I set the flash to normal, the camera
body will not allow a shutter speed above 1/180.  If I set the flash
to HS, then I can choose any shutter speed.  I just tried a shot
without setting anything on the body at 1/1000 sec and it worked
properly.  So all this time, I probably didn't need to set the body
along with the flash.  Oh well, the other way seemed to work.

It takes getting a new camera to learn the proper way sometimes.
Thanks for your comments.

--
Bruce