Hi Bruce,
That makes sense. Yes, I always set the flash to high speed. And as
with your Pentax flash, the camera won't go above 1/150th (on the D)
without the flash set at high speed synch.  I usually shoot at manual
exposure with a 1/500th or 1/750th shutter speed. But I've never
changed the flash setting on the camera. That's what confused me
about your original post. I never tried setting the camera mode, so
it was apparent early on that it didn't matter.  I mainly use high
speed for shooting birds and wildlife, once in a while for fill in
bright light.
Paul