mike wilson wrote:
>> From: Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: 2006/11/24 Fri AM
>> 01:32:14 GMT To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net> Subject:
>> Re: OT - Prius Fuel Economy
>>
>> William Robb wrote:
>>
>>> From: "Godfrey DiGiorgi"

>>> More likely, the life expectancy of the car will be when the
>>> batteries go flakey out of warranty.
>> I think Godfrey's right about the batteries being improved. They're
>>  already rumoured to be using LiIon in next year's model.
>> Replacement of the current (NiMH) battery is around $1500-2000.

> Toyota's take on battery charging is interesting.  The vehicle aims
> to keep the cells in the region of 60 to 75% charge, as this manner
> of use extends battery life.  So the display is only monitoring this
> level of charge.  "Empty" is really 60% and "full" is 75% of real
> capacity.

Where did that bit of info come from, Mike?
Not being "Prius-conversant" I must also ask, is the state of the
battery charge "user-controllable" or is it automatic?

A standard lead-acid car battery's charge status is fundamentally a
factor of the design by the factory.
Over the life of the battery, it's all automatically controlled, and the
display in the driver's compartment is merely for monitoring the general
health of the electrical system. Only if something goes wrong will the
driver be made aware that intervention is required.
Is it the same with the Prius?

keith whaley