Toyota designed the control system to maximize battery life. That's
all you need to know. The energy display is entertaining and
distracting, but fun to look at occasionally when the traffic is
light and you're bored. Crossing the US on the interstates is a
driving situation when turning it on to glance at the battery state
once in a while is utterly innocuous and poses no risk.

My curiosity about it was noting when (at what loads and speeds) the
control system held the battery in about the half charge state vs the
higher charge states on the display, and how quickly it transitioned
in different driving situations. I'm technically curious about the
car, unlike the average driver... I found it curious for a while and
came to what I thought was a reasonable conjecture about the workings
of the control system vis-a-vis energy flow. Passengers I've had in
the car seem to enjoy the display for about ten minutes and then
totally ignore it.

Most of the time, most people I know with a Prius turn on the fuel
economy display for daily driving, which is a sticky setting ... the
car wakes up with it. This provides more useful information and is
easy to understand without distraction. It's what I normally leave on
the display (MFD) when I'm driving and have it turned on at all.

The batteries are easily recyclable, and desirable to do so as they
are expensive. There will be partial cost recovery for owners of high
mileage cars as they have salvage value. At the moment, the volumes
of hybrid electric cars on the market make buying a 7 year old
example with 100,000 miles a theoretically risky proposition but
since there aren't any it's a moot point. On the other hand, by the
time there *are* 7 to 10 year old examples with 100,000 miles or more
available, I predict the aftermarket and information ecology of the
marketplace will have changed significantly.

How the battery warranty might transfer I'm not concerned with.
However in the US warranties on emissions/environmental control
system durability and performance are regulated by the Environmental
Protection Agency, not linked to any specific ownership of the
vehicle, and the batteries are likely considered as part of the
emissions/environmental control package.

This is a new technology vehicle. The technology is not yet well
understood by the service industry and the people conjecturing about
it on web pages and in the industry press. I expect that
understanding to change as the benefits *and* fallabilities of the
drive system become better known,  the problems it might have advance
from myth to commonsense, and as the volume of vehicles in  use built
around it increases. I do expect that we'll see a lot more of it as
time goes on as I feel the benefits are substantial.

Godfrey