Shel,

As to the Canon & Nikon users, two of the people @ Cord, behind the
counter, are active photographers.
One, "B", is a wildlife photographer and the other, "G", is on the
home-game sidelines of all the Buckeye football games.
They know what they're doing and, while they're invested in a
quantity of equipment, have used the K100 and
respect the quality.  They haven't yet had the chance to use the 10
but, from my talk with "G" today, I think
he's looking forward to giving it a tryout.
G's only problem with the 100 is that he, admittedly, hasn't adjusted
his photoshop technique to suite the characteristics
of the Pentax image.  But he none-the-less admires the
equipment.  And that's a lot more than he'd have said about
the MZ/ZX series.
I chatted with him & another salesman about its features today.
There are some very appealing things about this Pentax offering.
1.  The two-wheel approach that mirrors the PZ-1p.
2.  Power zoom. (They've got an old pz (iirc) 28-80/3.5 on the shelf
that I suggested as a useful demo lens.)
3.  Anti-shake (obviously)
4.  Trap focus.
5.  Hyper-modes.
6.  Weather seals.  (A feature they see as just as important as the
anti-shake.)
7.  Fit and finish.
The *unique and useful* features are starting to add up in Pentax'
favor to give them a steep growth curve in the near future.
He got in the kits this week and put one out the door right away,
with another going out, probably Monday.
In this town, being largely N & C, a quantity of Pentax equipment
moving like this is a good thing.

Final observations about the camera:
The only odd thing on the body is the front RAW switch.  Other than
that, the design layout is outstanding.
I especially like that the anti-shake switch "mistake" position would
be turning it On, which would rarely be a mistake.

Given the perspective of a couple of semi-pros, this is certainly a
"professional" grade body.
I'm looking forward to lenses that match this level of construction.

Sincerely,

Collin Brendemuehl
http://www.brendemuehl.net
http://evangelicalperspective.blogspot.com
http://philosophyforchristians.blogspot.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"
                                                 -- Jim Elliott