Shel -
Yes, the sheer volume of pix can be a little disconcerting - This link
is probably the best overview.

http://www.pbase.com/gmr2048/image/69559230

The rectangular black object is the sensor, the green things are circuit
boards and the rust colored items are ribbon cables that connect the
circuit boards together.  Gives you some idea of how things are packed
into a camera-sized body.  The sheer wonder of fitting all this together
amazes me - it's somehow surprising that the failure rate isn't higher.  ;>]

-P