Think computers, the *ist-D is a discontinued computer.  It's
replacement is available now.  It's being dumped before another
generation  makes it unsaleable.  The 28-80 doesn't have a sterling
reputation and they were made to be sold with the *ist film cameras.
I'll bet Pentax has a ton of them, for which there is not much demand.
Most film users can afford cameras with higher perceived value most of
which can use or need to use an aperture ring.  The lens is an orphan.
Once again it's being dumped before it becomes unsaleable.  This is just
the beginning of the price slide.  B&H photo is still selling the *ist-D
for 799 without lens.  But look to see much deeper discounting real soon.
Face it with an APS sensor 28-80 is not a very popular focal length.
18-50 or so is.

--
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.
                        --Albert Einstein