Jody;

Congratulations!  I got my LX a few months ago and still gaze at it lovingly
(My wife thinks I'm nuts but what would she know she's an Aussie!).

To answer your questions:

1. The multi-function lever performs three functions: mirror lockup when the
button is depressed and the lever is pushed towards the lens; DOF preview
when the lever is pushed towards the lens; and self timer when the button is
pressed and the lever is pulled away from the lens.  (to cancel the self
timer you can push the button again)

2. The dial is exposure compensation.  think of it as -4 to +4 rather than
1/4 - 4.

3. The only autoexposure mode is AP.

4. mine is 527 and from what I understand it is newer (I don't know enough
to really tell though)

5. yes.  I don't use a strap but keep the lugs on.  however, at first I
thought I hated the grip but have since grown to love it.

try these links for more info.  the first one includes a web and pdf version
of the manual.

enjoy!
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/index.htm

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~distudio/thepentaxlx.html