On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:01:16 +0100, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Dropping any kind of precision optical/mechanical device like a
> camera or lens, even in a padded protective pouch, is risky. If you
> want to ensure against damage from drops onto hard surfaces, you need
> something much more capable of shock absorbtion than a padded bag.
> For that kind of abuse, a hard case, like the Pelican line, with
> fitted foam inserts is required. The outer shell absorbs and spreads
> the impact, a couple inches of deep foam padding on the inside
> reduces the shock wave hitting the individual bits.

Thanks, Godfrey. I'm sure a Pelican will work, but I was actually looking
for something to put the camera in when I go for a stroll in the
neighbourhood. The Pelican cases I found on the web seem a bit over the
top for that :o)
I was just wondering if, say, a lowepro bag would offer advantages.

> This is why I prefer to buy bags that are lightweight and carry a lot
> rather than heavily padded bags, and buy storage and shipping cases
> for when true protection is warranted.

I guess in my case more care is warranted...

--
Regards, Lucas

--
Groetjes,  Lucas