On Dec 12, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Lucas Rijnders wrote:

> ... I'm sure a Pelican will work, but I was actually looking
> for something to put the camera in when I go for a stroll in the
> neighbourhood. The Pelican cases I found on the web seem a bit over
> the
> top for that :o)
> I was just wondering if, say, a lowepro bag would offer advantages.

> I guess in my case more care is warranted...

I have several high-quality bags suitable for daily walking around
use ... Billingham L2, Tamrac SuperLight 5, several Domkes, Kata
Focus Q, etc. All have some amount of bottom and side padding to
protect the gear against casual bumps. I often stuff the interiors
with Domke Wraps and dividers to prevent casual bumping and
scratching of the equipment too.

None would make me comfortable dropping it filled with lenses or
cameras from standing height to the floor. I have a policy: whenever
I put a bag down, it either goes on the floor or somewhere that it is
secure from being accidentally pushed off from a height. This is
particularly important when there are children around.

Some of the bags on the market have a lot more padding and might be
more protective. Ones like that seem to become too bulky, they carry
a lot less and are uncomfortable to wear or use.

More care is the best way to go... :-)

Godfrey