On 13/12/06, Cory Papenfuss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>         Umm... sorry.  I'll have to throw the "bullshit flag" on that
> play.  If one measures and analog voltage at 22-bits, does nothing to it,
> and then throws away the least-significant 10 bits to produce 12-bits, the
> results are absolutely identical to another who quantizes at 12-bits to
> begin with.  Only if "mid-processing" (i.e. processing between the data
> measurement and RAW file writing) is done is there a difference.  That
> "mid-processing" is precisely the unknown that I'm talking about, but one
> would assume that some was done.

Other arguments I've heard raised were that even if the last 8 bits of
the 22bit ADC were recording purely noise the remaining bits would
record more linear steps given that the ADCs imprecision lies mainly
in the low bit range.

>         Most likely the reason for using 22-bits was so that variable-gain
> analog amplifiers and fixed-full-scale-voltage A/D's were NOT used.  For
> ISO 100, choose bits 10-22.  For ISO 200 choose bits 9-21.  ISO 400 choose
> 8-20, etc, etc.
>
>         Now, for example, if one were to apply a cloudy WB vs. a tungsten
> WB, the red channel gain would likely be at least a bit (i.e. f-stop) or
> two different.  It makes sense to chose a different "dynamic range" for
> each channel based on things like WB (and by association colorspace).

If Pentax are using the Nucore NDX-2240 AFE on the front end of their
PRIME Image Processor (which hasn't been denied and was rumored to be
confirmed) the it provides what they deem as a "color sensitive PGA"
prior to the input to the 22 bit ADC. You can read up more here:

http://www.nucoretech.com/nu3/images/80_downloads/pres_technology.ppt.us.pdf

--
Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA