Hello Patrice,

Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 12:23:41 AM, you wrote:

PLG> I've imagined a lengthy, but very accurate metaphor for this:

PLG> Imagine you have a field of land. It is your color space. It contains
PLG> flowers and trees (each of them is a different color). You want to
PLG> measure the positions of these flowers and trees in this field (each
PLG> position corresponds to a given color). You can do so by dividing the
PLG> field in equal portions, marked by poles. You can't position a tree in
PLG> the field in a better precision than the distance between two poles. The
PLG> problem is that you only have a limited number of poles.

PLG> Now you are given the choice between a smaller field (sRGB color space)
PLG> and a larger field (ProPhoto). The smaller field is contained in the
PLG> larger one, so there are trees that are in the larger field, but not in
PLG> the smaller field (these are very saturated colors.) You want the larger
PLG> field to get an image correctly measured if important parts of this
PLG> image (a lot of the trees) are only in the larger field.

PLG> But this comes at a price. As you still have the same amount of poles
PLG> whichever field you choose (say 256x256), if the larger field is chosen,
PLG> more land needs to be covered, then the poles will be planted wider
PLG> apart from each other. You can measure more land, but with less precision.

PLG> If you chose to map the larger field, but all your trees are in the
PLG> smaller anyway, all you get, regarding YOUR trees, is a coarser precision.

Thanks Patrice, that was a very good metaphor.

PLG> Therefore, for an image with important detail in saturated colors
PLG> (flowers?), consider working with a wide color space. If you're pretty
PLG> sure your image only contains colors with lower saturation (portrait?),
PLG> prefer a narrower color space and you'll have a better rendition of most
PLG> of your image.

PLG> Or, use not 256 poles in each direction, but 65536 (16 bit instead of 8)
PLG> throughout your workflow, and use wide color space until the very last
PLG> point.

So there is really no silver bullet, and I should consider choosing a
color space based on what kind of image I'm working with, and what the
final output will be, and working with ProPhotoRGB in 16 bit is just a
safe bet. Then the final step will be to convert to sRGB before saving
for web. Can there be a loss of image detail/color when I perform such
a conversion?

Let's say I have an image which fits perfectly into sRGB.

A.)
- I use ACR to open the image in Photoshop using ProphotoRGB.
- Apply levels, curves, sharpening etc.
- Convert to sRGB then save for web.

B.)
- I use ACR to ipen the image in Photoshop using sRGB.
- Apply levels, curves, sharpening etc.
- No need to convert, this is already sRGB so just save for web.

Assuming that in both cases I work in 16 bits/channel mode will there
be any differences between A.) and B.)? With other words, can
colorspace conversions lead to a loss of information? It would seem
that in B.) there is no color space conversion, it's sRGB all the way,
but there is a catch: the article says that ProPhotoRGB is Camera
Raw's native colour space. So if I get this right there will be a
conversion in both cases.

PLG> Just my 2 cents (a bit long, but these are Euro cents).
Thank you Patrice, it is well worth it:)

--
Attila