Mike Hamilton wrote:
> The AF500FTZ was released in 1992.  Pentax updated the flash protocol
> to P-TTL in 2001 to bring Pentax flashes into modern day with wireless
> flash, high speed sync, etc...

I like P-TTL a lot because exposures with it are much more accurate.
But - the pre-flash is a problem for some specialized work. I've never
gotten a decent shot of a long legged fly using P-TTL - the insect's
reaction time to the flash is so fast that they fly out of the frame
between the pre-flash and the flash.

I had a similar problem with some butterflies this last summer, who were
so fast that they could fly out of the frame after the pre flash and
back to their perch before I took my eye off the camera. I kept getting
blanks on the LCD but the bug apparently did not move. I felt like Benny
Hill behind the camera until I figured out what was going on....

So - in some cases, maybe just a few specialized ones I care about, TTL
has advantages over P-TTL, and I miss it.

- MCC
--
Mark Cassino Photography