From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Bob W
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2006 4:15 PM
To: 'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'
Subject: RE: K10D review online

I don't know what the purpose of the jpeg option is. As far as I can
see, the only benefit of it is to store more pictures on the card.

It is no more difficult to plug the camera into a printer and print from
raw files. You can get usable results. Results that are at least as good
as jpeg.

To the best of my knowledge there are no intrinsic properties of raw
files that force anybody to do any post-processing at all. All of the
pictures that I have had from my Olympus, for example, have been
perfectly usable without post-processing. Of course, this doesn't mean
they are exhibition standard. But nor are jpegs under the same
circumstances.

You can do an experiment and judge for yourself rather than take my word
for it. Borrow a digital camera, shoot some raw, some jpeg, and get some
prints.

If you think about the processes that are going on, it must be true.

Suppose you decide that you are going to 'shoot jpeg', which only means
you're going to store jpeg. You make an exposure which the sensor
records. The software reads the data from the sensor, converts it to
jpeg on the fly and stores the results.

When you walk up to the printer and plug the camera in, the software in
the camera reads the jpeg file and converts it into the format that the
printer understands.

If you decide to shoot raw, then when you make an exposure the software
reads the data from the sensor and stores it without converting it to
jpeg.

When you walk up to the printer and plug the camera in, the software in
the camera reads the raw file and converts it into the format that the
printer understands.

There is no reason at all why the same algorithm that makes jpeg results
USABLE, as you put it, wouldn't be used on the conversion from raw to
the printer format, since both processes start from the same place, and
end up in the same place.

--
 Bob