-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Digital Image Studio
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 5:43 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: It's snowing in hell --OT

On 18/12/06, J. C. O'Connell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I dont see how a high quality moving pictures could
> be "boring" to some how enjoys high quality **still** pictures. Motion

> picturs can be an art form, and as such some of them can be greatly
> more appreciated and enjoyed with signifigantly better picture
> quality. Enough so to the point that boredom
> can be transformed into artistic communication between
> the filmmaker and the viewer.

The difference it that I make the pictures, watching TV is a passive
experience where the participant has zero control over the content. I'm
not interested in making movies and I'm not fussed on seeing other
peoples efforts in doing so. It' pretty simple really.

> I cant see how many of you can be so concerned about MP, color space,
> color gamut, raw vs. jpeg, color balance, etc. and then say it doesnt
> matter that the old crappy ntsc picture is far worse than what HD
> provides. These are the very same things.

Absolute rubbish. It's like top end Hi-Fi, if the only great pressings
you can get contain crap music what's the point.

--
Rob Studdert
there you go again with the dumb "no good programming" remarks. First of
all,
a good HDTV with a HD signal not only blows away anything the old ntsc
format could ever do,
it often reproduces even NTSC analog signals better than the old NTSC
sets could because
of the extra video bandwidth and progressive scanning they have compared
to ntsc only sets. Secondly,
its not like hi-fi example which is wrong anyway. With a really good
hi-fi
playback system, ALL your recordings sound better, not just the very
best.
What you think is poor turns out to be fair, fair becomes good, good
becomes
great, great becomes incredible, etc. the same is true with a really
good HDTV set
compared to an old ntsc only set. Everything gets better, hell even VHS
looks better
than ever. And new HD programming or new transfers of high resolution
sources ( MOVIES!)
look way better than ever in HD. So I strongly disagree with your
contention
here, both on the idea that only the very best recordings will show a
difference
or that there arent any good HD programs. Hell think of the 1000's and
1000's
of great movies that will be coming out in HD and when it comest to
older titles,
seeing these in HD is like seeing the first time after years of poor
quality
ntsc only viewings. Thats enough to keep a HDTV busy for the life of the
product.
jco