-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Adam Maas
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 5:45 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: It's snowing in hell --OT

J. C. O'Connell wrote:
> you are comparing apples with oranges.
> A movie theater is not the same as
> a home theater, you have very very
> limited choice of "programs" to see
> at a movie theater compared to a home
> theater. And I stand by what I said,
> the very best theater in my ares
> is no longer as good as the best or
> even my home theater on picture quality.

Well, I've got access to much better quality theaters then.

> Secondly, I aleaday explained to you
> in my last post that you cant and wont
> get the full benefit of HD on small
> sets, neither close up or at a distance.
> Those look similar to analog at that
> size because most of them are not
> full 1080 resolution, most are 720/
> and small CRTS regardless of scanning
> format wont resolve the full 1080 resolution.

And incase you missed it, that supports my point (Since the only
reasonably priced HDTV's are tiny wee little things)

> Regarding image quality in theaters,
> they have to make big compromises
> to project the large image, this
> is why the illumination isnt perfect
> like HDTV, they have to use projection
> lenses, unlike direct view tv, and they
> have to use COPY PRINTS, not original
> negatives, like good hdtv film transfers
> are made from.

So? It still looks better bigger. See your previous point.

> If you dont think HDTV is worth it for
> you, thats one thing, but this thread
> started with you saying its hype,
> cash grab, no better than dvd, worse
> than DVD, etc. and that I have a problem
> with because I dont believe any of that
> is true.
>
> JCO

And I still say it's a cash grab and mostly a scam. The costs do not
justify the benefits, analog broadcasts are being phased out despite the

fact that most TV's can only accept them. good reasonably sized CRT's
are pretty much out of production in order to force the market into
larger, overly expensive HDTV's that they don't need or want (it's only
very recently that the small HD sets even became available) and the HD
content is mostly a poorly upsampled rehash of the DVD or analog
versions.

-Adam