On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 12:29:55PM -0700, Tom C wrote:

> I think all levels of photographers should contribute, as I said back then
> as well.  I personally find the list to be largely self-congratulatory.  In
> other words the vast majority of shots are praised whether they possess
> merit or not.  While I don't believe the photographer should be denigrated
> for what might be considered generally a poor shot by most, neither does
> *apparently* thoughtless random commendaion help them improve. It also tends
> to make the commendation for good shots less meaningful.

To an extent that's because the comments are voluntary, and self-selecting.
I don't post a "I think this photograph sucks!" message - I just pass it by.
I suspect many others do the same thing. This means that the only comments
you will see are those expressing positive things about a photograph.

Occasionally I will try and post a review of the PUG where I comment on
all the shots.  When I do that you could very well see negative comments,
but that's an exceptional situation.