John Sessoms wrote:

> There's a limit to how loud a signal they can broadcast. 100%
> modulation is the max, anything over just distorts.

Actually, "percent" modulation isn't technically correct with frequency
modulation (which is that TV audio is). You can theoretically increase
the frequency deviation as much as you want, but the legal limit
imposed by the FCC is plus/minus 75 kHz (at least for commercial FM
radio, but I'm pretty sure it's the same tor television audio).

>> The commercials aren't actually any louder than the programming, but
>> there's a trick that can be done with compression to make them *seem*
>> louder. Most TV audio has a dynamic range that includes both loud and
>> quiet sound. But with compression the quiet sounds are boosted so that
>> dynamic range is eliminated.

Right. They're just increasing the average volume of the sound in
commercials, thereby increasing the perceived loudness.

>> You could do the same to all of the programming sound, compress it to
>> make all of the modulation near 100% and then just turn the volume
down
>> on the whole thing, but it'd take a lot of work.

Nah. Just stick one of the compressor/limiters from the URL in my
earlier post into your signal path and you're done :)