On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 12:53:26PM -0800, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> There is a photo I'd like to make, but the widest lens I have is still too
> long as it forces me to include an undesirable object in the frame and I
> don't want to mess around with cloning the object out of the scene.  I will
> need to borrow a wider lens, but I don't know what focal length would work.
> Is there a way to determine the focal length I need based on the subject
> distance and framing I want using the longer lens.  I know how close I must
> get to the subject to eliminate the unwanted element.  Perhaps a formula of
> some sort?
>
> For what it's worth, the subject is about 12-feet long and I have to get
> about six feet from it.

So, as you know now, for APS-C the answer is somewhere around 15mm (give or
take; I assume your distances quoted above aren't absolutely precise).

That leaves you with three or four choices:

  o The A 15mm

  o A DA 16-45, if you can get away with a 16mm

  o The DA 10-17 fisheye zoom, if distortion is OK
    (although you can defish the image digitally)

  o The DA 12-24; probably your best choice.

I don't know what access you have to loaner lenses, but if
you decide on the fisheye I've now got one of those in my bag :-)