Scott,

"Inexpensive" hotels that lack bedbugs, thugs, or
practitioners of the world's oldest profession do not
exist in Manhattan.

We have stayed at The Milburn, which is in the 80s
near Broadway, in a pleasant neighborhood about a 5
minute walk to Central Park and a 10 min walk to the
Natural History Museum.  Heck, we walked to Times
Square from there, but we do a lot of walking
(remember the Philly PDML?). IIRC we paid $160 a night
a couple of years ago.

Rick

http://www.photo.net/photos/RickW